Action: Call Congress Right Now on Pro-Israel Resolutions
January 8, 2009
CAIR ACTION ALERT #562
Urgent Action: Contact Congress Right Now on Pro-Israel Resolutions
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 1/08/2009) – CAIR today called on all Americans concerned about peace with justice in the Middle East to urge congressional leaders to ensure that resolutions on the current crisis in Gaza are balanced and help promote a just and durable peace for all parties to the conflict.
A resolution passed in the U.S. Senate today failed the test of balance and peace-building. The House is expected to take up a similarly unbalanced pro-Israel resolution tomorrow.
President-elect Barack Obama recently said that he is "committed" to being "engaged effectively and consistently in trying to resolve the conflict in the Middle East."
CAIR believes Congress should support the incoming administration by mirroring President-elect Obama’s statement, "the loss of civilian life in Gaza and in Israel is a source of deep concern for me."
"Our elected representatives should focus on American interests first, not on offering uncritical support to a foreign power engaged in the illegal and immoral use of military force and collective punishment of a civilian population," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. "The widespread perception that American officials support Israeli brutality compromises our nation’s ability to act as a mediator and peace-builder. Peace in this region is a national security issue."
URGENT ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be POLITE and RESPECTFUL.)
1. Call your U.S. Representative and urge her or him to ensure that any resolutions or statements coming from Congress are balanced and promote peace with justice. This will ensure that the international community does not perceive that the U.S. government is divided on the goal of bringing a just and durable peace. (Find suggested talking points below.)
Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for your representative’s office.
2. Call the House Speaker and Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and urge them to ensure that any resolutions or statements coming from Congress are balanced and promote peace with justice. This will ensure that the international community does not perceive that the U.S. government is divided on the goal of bringing a just and durable peace. (Find suggested talking points below.)
(If you are not a constituent be sure to mention that you are calling them in their leadership roles. If you reach an answering machine, feel free to leave a message.)
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Speaker of the House
Phone: (202) 225-0100
- I urge you to ensure that any congressional resolutions or statements relating to the Middle East conflict are balanced and promote peace with justice in the region.
- Balanced statements will ensure that the international community does not perceive that the U.S. government is divided on the goal of bringing a just and durable peace.
- As you may know, Israeli attacks on Palestinian civilians block efforts to bring peace with justice to the Middle East, harm our nation’s image and interests worldwide and strengthen voices of extremism in the region.
- The Palestinian people must be given some hope of freedom from Israeli occupation and domination and Israel’s immoral and illegal collective punishment of the Palestinian people living in the Gaza Strip must end.
- I also believe American taxpayer dollars should not be used to for weapons that kill civilians.
3. Sign CAIR’s Online Petition urging our nation’s leaders to speak "in favor of peace and justice for all parties in the current humanitarian crisis unfolding in the Gaza Strip." When completed, the petition will be sent to elected officials nationwide and will be given to members of the current and incoming administrations. Go to: http://petition.cair.com/
4. Pray for all those who are suffering and oppressed.
Council on American-Islamic Relations
453 New Jersey Ave, S.E., Washington, D.C., 20003
Council on American-Islamic Relations Copyright © 2007 All rights reserved.